Wednesday, June 17, 2015

This is Important...

I was going to wait until June 21st, National Aboriginal Day, to write this post, but today, by chance (by procrastination, really), I came across this Macleans report called 'It could have been me: Thirteen remarkable women share their own stories.'

I strongly encourage everybody reading these words to click this link: http://site.macleans.ca/longform/almost-missing/index.html and hear these women's stories.

Make time for them. Do it now.

*Trigger warning for rape, domestic violence, sexual abuse, sexual assault.
"The predominant belief is that Indigenous peoples are intrinsically alcoholics or drug addicts, refusing to understand this is simply a coping mechanism, and a very tangible way to survive. Still for others, myself included, drugs and alcohol become a slow method of suicide."
~Nahanni Fontaine
Special adviser on Aboriginal women’s issues for the government of Manitoba

"I was a special constable about to transition into the RCMP regular forces when my husband attacked me. I’d wanted to become a Mountie to honour my cousin: one of the missing and murdered. I wanted to get the scumbags that stole her off the streets. But for three years I’d been covering up my bruises with makeup and a smile."
~Lani Elliott
Administrator and former RCMP special constable

"When you live in a community full of lateral violence like ours you are taught to bury or deny what happened. People will often blame the woman. I want women to know they don’t need to stay stuck. Nobody has to live as a victim. Eight years ago, I bought the house where I was abused as a girl. It had haunted me—whenever I drove past, it brought me right back in time. So I ripped it apart and I made it mine."
~Gail K. Gus
Crisis care and wellness coordinator

Please do read these women's stories and watch their videos at http://site.macleans.ca/longform/almost-missing/index.html

...and then you'll understand why I donate 100% of the royalties earned on my anthology of lesbian erotic romance shorts, Don't You Savage Me, to organizations working with Indigenous women.

Sometimes I don't know what to say. In this case, I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

Here are a few purchase links for Don't You Savage Me. It's available at waaay more retailers than this, so if you've got a go-to ebookstore, search for it there (they probably carry it). If you get your books at a bookstore or library, ask them to order a copy.

Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L5XLDZ2?tag=dondes-20
Amazon Canada: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00L5XLDZ2
Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L5XLDZ2
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/450362

If you know of a charitable organization the serves Aboriginal women, please let me know about it in the comments! I'm always interested in new places to donate.

Thank you to everyone who has purchased a copy of Don't You Savage Me as an ebook or in print. Without you, this project would never have been the ongoing success it has been. I appreciate you more than I can say!

No comments:

Post a Comment